People

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

People

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:07 pm

I'm thinking of creating more people similar to the ones in Alfred's People Tool and I'm wondering if there are any types of people, activities, or environments that you would find useful.

Matt
Matt

Re: People

Postby David Scott » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:31 am

How about someone flying a kite? People eating would be good too.

The People tool is fantastic but another tool I'd love to see is one for trees and shrubs in elevational profile. That would be brilliant.

David
David Scott

Postby patrickm » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:07 am

It also might be nice to include a "fudge" tool, that would increase the X dimension of the people (but not the Y dimension), so we could adjust their apparent weight to match the general population or particular client...

(Intended as humor, sorry if I offend anyone.)
patrickm

Postby Alfred Scott » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:22 am

David,

All of the shapes in the People tool are a single closed polygon (drawn by Matt, of course) and at a reasonable size for men, women, children, etc.

However, there is no reasonable size for the height of a tree or shrub. With the Tree and Shrub tools we can have the size fixed or interactive, and the polygons drawn as a series of shapes.

Not sure what we might have in elevation.

I’d like to provide something like that, but I’m at a loss of what sorts of images we might place.

Best to send suggestion drawings direct to Matt and we can see what can be done. Always important to remember that I really know almost nothing about this type of drawing, what is needed, how to get the aesthetics right, etc.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:36 am

Let me also mention that one of the most important ingredients of getting Trees & Shrubs right was to get landscape architect Damon Oriente involved. I knew that left to my own devices, I would end up with something and that I would end up having someone scream at me “Did it ever occur to ask a landscape architect if they would want such things?”

Prior to that, I could only look at what people had done with symbol libraries.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:39 pm

I do have some thoughts on trees and shrubs in elevation, it's staggering when you start to think of the size of a catalog that you would need. The other issue is color and style, how precisely do they get delineated? I think the only general purpose tool/library would give you images that suggest, rather than illustrate, the vegetation. The challenge is doing it in a way that doesn't make a file with ten trees and twenty bushes 25 megs. But it's worth discussing for sure.
Matt

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:28 pm

Hypothetically, if we were to develop a tool to draw trees/shrubs in elevation, it would probably include:

Bradford Pear
Japanese Maple
Dogwood
Maple
Pin Oak
Christmas tree
Cyprus tree
Hedge
flower bed
Ivy
lollypop tree
boxwood hedge
bamboo
palm tree
yucca plant

What other vegetation types would you like to see?
Matt

Postby David Scott » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:49 am

Tree elevations.zip
Tree elevations CAD file
(389.48 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Matt,

I was thinking more of notional trees and vegetation for elevational drawings to give a flavour of landscaping rather than detailed tree species and colours, although a landscape architect would no doubt be looking for more realism. I've uploaded a PowerCADD file of the kind of thing I had in mind. I got these from one of those on-line free autoCAD blocks websites and just paste them onto elevations and site sections. A PowerCADD tool, like the People tool, would be much handier though.

David
David Scott

Postby Alfred Scott » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:31 am

In working on Trees & Shrubs, I found that most landscape architects favored extremely simple, informal representations of simple outlines with no colors at all.

Renderings for presentations were quite another thing, and often these things are simply put into a drawing to give it some appeal and flavor.

You can imagine how upset an owner or client would get if you had someone in the firm drawing each one. I remember hearing stories when we came out with Nuts & Bolts of clients rushing into a firm to plead with the architects that there was no need to draw all the threads on a lag screw, then there were smiles all around when they saw how easy it was.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:01 pm

David -- thanks, those trees are helpful. What do you think about the usefulness of something like the attached file?

I have in mind a tool that works exactly like the current tree tool (same types of variations) except it places a tree in elevation instead of in plan. Different species of tree have different forms and branch structures, that is the only purpose of my differentiation in the list, not to produce botanically accurate tree renderings, only to suggest recognizable silhouettes. Some basic lollypop style trees would be included as well.

But the main thing would be for the tool to produce non-identical elements with a consistent appearance.
Attachments
tree samples2.pc9.zip
(896.2 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Matt

Postby David Scott » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:13 am

Matt,

These examples look fantastic.
With the WildTools Trees & Shrubs tool there is a range of complexity so some simple 'lollypop' styles would indeed mitigate against very large file sizes when a lot of trees were placed in a drawing.
Can't wait to try these out!

David
David Scott

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:23 am

Here's a screenshot of what Matt is proposing.

TreeElevation.jpg

Easy to see where all this is going!

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby Michael St Aimee » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:42 am

8)
Michael St Aimee

Postby pbacot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:14 pm

Those look beautiful Matt.

Matt,

For people I am usually scouring for RESIDENTIAL people (including for my 3d models). I don't need a lot but I find a few that sort of work and use them over and over. So I'd say if you think more people would be a good thing, how about people who are relaxing at home, receiving guests, looking at their beautiful new house, at a pool party, sitting, eating etc? An overwhelming number of people in collections seem to be at work, rushing to work, or walking in a mall! Then there are odd activities and sports people, which are of specific use but not fitting 99% of my elevations for residential clients.

Peter
pbacot
millennium club

Postby lavardera » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:28 pm

I have an series of tree elevation profiles that I scanned and auto-traced from a forgotten source. Happy to share if it contributes to making more tree objects as shown here.

Oh! Looks like what Dave posted, so I must have shared that before. Maybe he does not remember where he got it? Or maybe my traced CAD file has ended up on the internet?!! I have the original TIFF file scans of these, so I'm quite sure I am the original source.
Attachments
treeelevs.PC9.zip
(301.85 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
lavardera

Next

Return to PowerCADD Discussion