OpenClip

Discuss PowerCADD and WildTools in particular,
and related architectural drawing and drafting topics in general. Moderated by Artifice in cooperation with Engineered Software.

OpenClip

Postby Michael St Aimee » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:38 pm

Has work resumed with AutoDesSys concerning copying from formZ then pasting into PowerCadd? If not, when will talks resume? I really would appreciate this feature.
Michael St Aimee

Re: OpenClip

Postby Charles Freeborn » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Also waiting for this feature. Going from .fmz model to .pc9 is a bother.
Charles Freeborn

Postby Alfred Scott » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:48 am

Charles,

I talked to AutoDesSys earlier this week about this, and they now have it on their list of things to do. There are other things in the works, so realistically it will probably be a couple of weeks before they start work.

I think it will probably go smoothly and quickly. OpenClip is a very simple concept and easily implemented. The most important thing was the design of a container which is what we worked out with them a number of years ago, then to hook it up in Bonzai3D for the first time took a total of 12 hours of programming at their end. By any measure, that's an astonishingly short time to implement a feature between two different programs. And there was no coordination needed between the programmers at the two companies. I did all the coordination on my iPhone from our place on the river on a weekend.

They once had it working before with Copy in FormZ so it should be a simple thing. OpenClip Paste in PowerCADD has been there from the very beginning.

The best ideas are always the simplest.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby lavardera » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:26 pm

I noticed something this week - I was working on a window and door schedule, and I was creating them in Apple's Numbers spreadsheet. When it was time to place the schedule in PowerCadd I decided to see what happened if I cut and pasted instead of exported or print to a file and place. Much to my surprise all I had to do was select all the cells, copy, and paste, and the whole thing came in as a PDF file placed into PowerCadd. Effortless.
lavardera

Postby pbacot » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:13 pm

Greg, I've been doing it that way for a while. Did you know you can cut and paste from PowerCADD to other apps. Handy if you just want to email a sketch to someone? It ignores layer colors, and shows "points" I notice.
pbacot
millennium club

Postby Alfred Scott » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:59 pm

Two things are afoot.

We're on a push to get OpenClip working both ways again so you can Copy from FormZ and Paste back into PowerCADD. Things got in the way, but we're working on this now.

The other thing is to build a bridge with SketchUp and this is my next big project. I don't know how much help I will need on this because I know almost nothing about SketchUp (or FormZ, either!) but I would like to hear from anyone who is interested in working with me on this. Really would prefer someone with long experience with WildTools and willing to be available on the telephone to explain things to me.

Necessarily this will involve a number of steps and has the added complication that SketchUp is a 64-bit app and PowerCADD is 32-bit.

My first step will be to get the SketchUp programming libraries compling with my OpenClip Bridge app which will be available at www.openclip.net. I've updated the OpenClip Viewer app today, and we will have all these things working together as an awkward two-step workaround until we can get it all working together.

I did some work a few years ago on trying to reverse-engineer the SketchUp file and clipboard content, which are essentially the same stream of bytes. So reading and writing SketchUp files is pretty much the same.

Beyond opening and saving files and doing the same thing with Copy and Paste both ways, then long-term I'd like to be able to import SketchUp project files into PowerCADD as reference files so that PowerCADD can serve as an alternative to LayOut.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby ValmontR » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Alfred,

I would love to be part of this project. I now use PCADD/SketchUp in a 40/60 proportion and being able to transfer between the two would be AWESOME. I have gotten much better at transferring DWGs back and forth but it still slows me down.

Cheers,
ralph
ValmontR

Postby patrickm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 am

I don't really have the time to look into OpenClip right now, but do have one quick question: A client developed some drawings using SketchUp and Layout. He'd like me to modify his Layout files in PowerCADD. Is this a possibility, or is OpenClip only intended to work with SketchUp?

Thanks for your work, and I look forward to learning more about OpenClip when I have time...
patrick
patrickm

Postby Alfred Scott » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Patrick,

OpenClip has been around for a number of years now, and it provides the ability to copy vector objects in PowerCADD and then paste in FormZ. It does not handle text or dimension objects. It will also work with a copy from FormZ and then paste back into PowerCADD. It once did this in FormZ but it stopped working some time ago, and this is what they will be working on in FormZ in a couple of weeks.

This isn't going to do anything with your LayOut files. Best solution would be to get them into PDF and edit in PowerCADD. PDF is now the universal pasteboard format for the MacOS, so you should be able to copy stuff there and then paste in your favorite program. I doubt if you would be happy but you could copy all or pieces of the drawing into TextEdit or Pages, and then copy these into PowerCADD.

Alfred
Alfred Scott
millennium club

Postby pbacot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Alfred,

I may be able to help. I, like Patrick, am pretty busy now, but it's more a week to week thing with me, where I might find time. I have been using PC and SU for some time.

I too like the LayOut route to PowerCADD. There's a couple reasons. The LayOut world is linked well to SU and updates of scenes, and things such as transferring links to other files work pretty well. For example you can set up a LO file then relink it to your new project or a different version of your old project, and the same scenes will be displayed where you have them in LayOut. Scales and other settings are handily managed. Updating takes a few clicks.

If you can also get that functionality with PowerCADD linked to SketchUp that'd be a big one.

Also I don't know the reasons, but output from LayOut is much better looking than exporting direct from SketchUp. Layout allows a "vector view, a raster view and hybrid" (which is mostly what I use) The hybrid or vector view gives cleaner images as you might imagine but the raster information such as textures and shadows are lost unless you use "hybrid".

What I do mostly now is publish the SU file in LO and print pdfs to use in PowerCADD. You can set these up as references if you want. The lack of file naming functions ( or anything similar to PC "print sheets")from LO makes this a little tedious . I often do a simple import command so the image comes in at exactly the same location in in PC file. Of course, unless you also import dwg or explode the pdf, there is no object snap function. Otherwise the PC annotation and manipulation of the file from there on is much better than LayOut. I generally just use this process for exterior elevations myself.

I don't know much about under-the-hood stuff in SU (or programming in general), but if let me know if I can be of use.

Peter
pbacot
millennium club

Postby Paul H » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Alfred,
If there's anything I can contribute I'd love to. PowerCADD/Wildtools and SketchUp are my basic working tools for Architecture and design since you starting writing Wildtools for PowerCADD. I've also been using SketchUp since Last Software introduced it in early 2000. I discovered them at an early MacWorld conference in SF.
However, I have no knowledge or skill with programming but I'm willing to contribute where I can. The ability to seamlessly move between the two applications would be invaluable to me on a daily basis. Your Wildtools solidified my commitment to PowerCADD long ago and if you can integrate SketchUp with PowerCADD . . . oh my . . . that would be a dream come true.
Paul H

Return to PowerCADD Discussion